Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I've got to learn bike maintenance

Jason and I are big fans of Sun and Ski and their lifetime maintenance for bikes purchased there. However, we would like to be able to do minor maintenance ourselves rather than hauling a bike out to Opry Mills. My full-suspension Haro Sonix nearly came apart a couple of weeks ago while riding the last couple of miles of Chickasaw Trace. Even being an engineer, I wasn't quite sure what was causing the wobble, so I took it to Sun and Ski (Carl). Turned out everything was causing the wobble and Carl fixed it up for me.

After riding Monkey Bell two days ago, I noticed some slow shifting. Jason has been trying to get up to speed with gear maintenance and is taking a course this Saturday at Cumberland Transit. He passed on a great website: http://www.bicycletutor.com/

I am going to scan this site over and try to figure out some of the shifting myself. As I learned with the Garmin Oregon, reading the instruction manual can be a good thing to try as well.

1 comment:

  1. I have my bike so out of whack at the moment that I'm afraid to ride it. But the only way to learn is to fiddle with stuff. When I go back to test ride the 29'ers, I'm going to have Carl make sure the Bolinas Ridge is not a death trap because of my "maintenance."

    ReplyDelete