Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Monkey Bell 8-25-09

Yesterday I returned to the trail where I severely broke my ankle on the day after Thanksgiving last year. I had to have a plate and 7 screws to put everything back together. The break, a spiral fracture, was due to clipless pedals not releasing. Now I ride BMX style platform pedals, which are fine in terms of grip. My feet don't slip often and although I occasionally get a flesh wound, I am not attached to the bike, which for me is great for not breaking bones. I think I ride a lot more cautiously these days.

With that as backdrop, I am always a bit hesitant about going to Monkey Bell (my affectionate nickname for Montgomery Bell State Park). There are over 20 miles of trail out there, ranging from beginner to advanced/expert. I stay on the beginner to intermediate trails. Yesterday I rode 9.1 miles of red, blue and white. The trail map of the park may be downloaded here. The red is the perimeter trail, and is smooth and flowing. The "Back Blue" is a favorite section of mine, very fast and scenic. "Lonesome Blue" is tough, very steep in parts and uphill (at least the direction I rode) and the "Hayne Branch" white is fun, but very slow going, as I have found all of the whites to be. I broke my ankle on "Storm Track."
Good ride all in all. I like Monkey Bell because the ride is never the same, you get to pick the trails and choose the order, making for a different ride every time. When you go to Chickasaw (another favorite trail), you have a distinct path to follow (ride the trail until you see your car again), though you can come out and ride a section again after a brief asphalt ride. Some riders go through that trail backwards for variety (and to scare me, I think) and they race in that direction. I came across a backwards rider one time and I was fortunately not on a downhill section.
Anyway, trail conditions at Monkey were excellent and I hope to get out there several more times before the leaves start falling, making trail navigation more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment