Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I am an ANIMAL!!!

After doing the single speed conversion, I wondered if I should have built an ark. Rain for nearly a month kept me off the trails and when it would stop raining, it wouldn't stop long enough to let the trails dry out. I was happy riding the 26er single speed conversion around neighborhoods, but something was missing...big wheels!

I found a Haro Mary SS (rigid) 29er on craigslist and decided to go for it. I picked it up Monday and was out at Long Hunter Tuesday afternoon.

The headline of this post edged out a couple of others, "hurt so good" and "why am I doing this?" to name a couple. I went with what I yelled into the phone to my fiance after finishing two laps at Long Hunter...two laps without getting off the bike once and with feeling in my arms and hands. Riding rigid was actually fun and Long Hunter was not that difficult on a SS. I thought I was going to be pushing the bike all over the place (not riding for a while had diminished my wind and legs), but it wasn't that bad. Of course, Long Hunter is relatively flat.

First impressions include that keeping a little less air in the tires (35-40psi) was a big help going over rocks and provided some "suspension." Also, I agree with others I have heard say that riding a rigid singlespeed will make you a better rider. Obviously, momentum is key and on a rigid bike, identifying the best line is a must to save yourself the [not so] sweet vibrations.

I think I am a convert, but I will keep the geared 29er (hardtail) and my FS 26er. Certain trails lend themselves better to single speed rigid.

Before I forget, here is a picture of the new (to me) bike:


No comments:

Post a Comment